Study Notes >> Revision Questions >> Analgesics (Preview)
Revision Questions: Analgesics (Preview)
- True or false: Opioids may be used for the treatment of severe pain due to herpes zoster infection.
- True or false: Contact of Norspan patches with direct sources of heat such as electric blankets, heat pads, heat lamps, saunas may affect the release and absorption rate of fentanyl.
- Which opioid analgesic can be used in severe renal impairment?
- Can controlled release tablets be crushed or chewed?
- Can controlled release capsules be crushed or chewed?
- False. The statement is true but there is a mismatch between the generic and brand name. Norspan patches contain buprenorphine. Durogesic patches contain fentanyl.
- Fentanyl may be used in severe renal impairment because it has no active or toxic metabolites.
- No, controlled release tablets must be swallowed whole. They should not be crushed or chewed.
- Yes, pellets in controlled release capsules may be sprinkled on soft food or mixed with 30mL liquid.
The full version has many more questions with answers included.